Slightly Disturbing

We all know a little make-up and hair can go a long way, but it's the photoshopping that I find disturbing.



OK, OK, this is an advertisement. This is a model hired to help sell a product. Is this type of photoshopping OK because it's not a portrait professing to be "her"?

I run into this all the time, and it's mostly women asking me "Can you make me look 10 years younger or 20 pounds lighter" etc, etc. You know, I am perfectly happy clearing up your skin blemishes for you, but honestly my favorite wrinkles are crow's feet. There are somethings that are a part of you and I don't think it's fair to try to mask or erase or cover up. OK, so wrinkles could be softened. But enlongating the neck and enlarging the eyes??? 10 years from now you won't be able to trust anybody's photos.

(I have fixed a face before, but I can't for the life of me find it on my computer. My father-in-law came down with Bell's Palsy just before submitting an application for missionary service. He needed a photo with his app, but did not want his half-droopy face on there, which he knew would evenutally perk back up (and it has). So I did fix his face and I wish I had the picture to show you.)


What do you think????

Amy  – (April 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM)  

Hi Jessica - I'm so sorry - I meant to respond to your question but I totally spaced it! Anyway, it's just cheesecloth. You do not need very much - just a strip - and wash it first! Email me (amyleav at gmail.com) if you have any other questions.

Amy  – (April 29, 2009 at 6:32 AM)  

Wow! She just looks like a regular person in the beginning. She's pretty but she's normal. Yeah, that was a little more than slightly disturbing.

Lara  – (April 29, 2009 at 7:30 AM)  

It IS amazing how far makeup and hair can go - but really? Did they HAVE to do all that editing? I thought she was already beautiful before they did all that. It is sad.

LM  – (April 29, 2009 at 12:39 PM)  

That was crazy. Sign me up!!!

Jen  – (April 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM)  

I am constantly amazed at the amount of Photoshopping that goes into pictures, and how hard it is for us to tell what has been doctored. I wish we were back in a time where models', actors', etc. actual faces were shown

The other thing that bothers me, besides the crazy amount of Photoshopping, is the actresses who have babies (and only gain 10 pounds during the whole dang thing) who then lose that weight within 2 months and go on Photoshopped magazine covers talking about how we can all do the same thing. I've thought about this a lot lately as I've bought bigger pants. I wish the media would stop showing fake women and fake lives and trying to tell us we should be the same as them. I hate that I'm afraid to gain more than 20 pounds this pregnancy purely because magazines have told me that's bad.

April  – (April 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM)  

I agree with all that has been said. I saw this a few years ago and it makes me just as sick today as it did back then. Why can't they let her just be beautiful the way she is.

Nicole  – (April 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM)  

Wow. No wonder we're all screwed up on perception of beauty! Thx, girl. I posted this on my Facebook!

CORDERMAN FAMILY  – (May 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM)  

It is so NOT OK to give such distorted idea of what woman look like (especially to young woman & girls who are still developing their own identity) when I was modeling....my local photographer & I had an agreement
NO PHOTOSHOPPONG!

Http://whatmeeganmakes.com  – (May 4, 2009 at 7:47 AM)  

My brother-in-law works in Hollywood as a graphic artist. He does DVD covers, billboards, bookcovers, etc... The "Stars" come in all the time to "check" his work. They get pretty huffy and ticked if it is not what they want. EVERYONE is now airbrushed or touched up. Really, they are. Very sad.

MaryRC  – (September 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM)  

this is one of my favorite videos. i am part of the process and i love to show people how unrealistic it all is..

Post a Comment

Rules for leaving comments: Have manners. :) Be nice to my clients. I enabled the "Anonymous" option so that a few certain people could leave comments. If you log in under "Anonymous", please leave your name. If you abuse this option, your comments will be deleted and the option will be turned off. Thanks for your encouragement and happy comments!

jessica B photography

Specializing in Las Vegas birth photography and newborn photography. Jessica B is also available for weddings and portrait sessions.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP