What is "Without A Place" Anyway???

Surprisingly, I have been asked this question very few times.



When I was in college, the teacher who saved me from really disliking photography lent me The Americans by Robert Frank. I loved it and decided I wanted to make a book someday (haven't done that yet). I picked Without A Place as the title of my future publication. The idea of Without A Place was first inspired by this photo:

This image was taken in Paris, as we floated on a boat down the Seine River. I loved this picture (now and then) and felt it was a good picture - but not because it was taken in Paris. I don't believe there is anything that "says" Paris or France, no Eiffel Tower, no Arc de Triomphe. And so, it was like a lightbulb went on and I realized that a good piece of art should be relatable (just made up my own word?) to a large variety of people. Some people have never been to Paris or have no desire to go, but lots of people have fed the birds. A picture should not be considered "good" simply because it is of Paris or England or Hawaii or some other far off place. So THAT is what "without a place" is - a good picture can be taken any place, any where.


Can you guess where the rest of these images were taken? Don't know if it's a hint or not, but all of these were taken on film, and then scanned in. This one was published in a college literary magazine!

Jeanette  – (January 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM)  

And that is why you're so good! Love it.

Hillary  – (February 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM)  

I always wondered what Without a Place meant exactly. I don't know why I never asked! On a funny note, Aaron was showing some of Zack's birthday pictures that you took to some of his friends at the army and they were from your blog so it said Without a Place on it and one guy asked if Zack was homeless!

Post a Comment

Rules for leaving comments: Have manners. :) Be nice to my clients. I enabled the "Anonymous" option so that a few certain people could leave comments. If you log in under "Anonymous", please leave your name. If you abuse this option, your comments will be deleted and the option will be turned off. Thanks for your encouragement and happy comments!

jessica B photography

Specializing in Las Vegas birth photography and newborn photography. Jessica B is also available for weddings and portrait sessions.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP