Good Morning World - Birth Photography

Warning: Long post. A lot of times when I suggest birth photography, the mom & dad-to-be say something to the effect of "Ew! Gross! Blood & guts!!" This is to show you it's not blood & guts (and I'm keeping the mom as modest as possible) I also want to show what an unmedicated homebirth looks like, since some people have no experience with that and can't fathom the idea of birthing "without the drugs". This is Jillian's first birth and she did so well and progressed so smoothly. It was a beautiful experience. Afterwards, Jillian exclaimed "I DID IT!!!" Jillian was supported by her boyfriend, her sister and her mother, and attended by midwife Margie Dacko.

Disclaimer: I want to be as least invasive as possible. That means not using a flash. Due to the nature of the activity and low light, some shots may have some blurring as a result of motion.


****Update: At first, Jillian was unsure if she wanted me to be there or not. But Anthony said yes, so they called. Now that she's seen the photos, Jillian says she's soooo glad she has them and if she had said no, and then seen someone else's birth pictures, she would've been so disappointed that she didn't get them. Jillian is so excited to have these pictures and says she loves them!

6:08am - On the way to Jillian's house


6:28am - At 7 cm
6:48am to 7:32am - Laboring in a warm bath. I love baths for labor. I highly recommend it.


So pretty.

7:52am


8:22am Her water has broken and she has started pushing. At about this point Anthony says "Birth is the most unappreciated miracle"



8:45am - Changing positions

9:10am Hello Baby Girl

Jillian immediately said "I'm never doing that again!" and in the next breath she said "It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."
Maizie-Love weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces and is 21 inches long, born today, Saturday, August 15 at 9:10am.

Jessica B Photography  – (August 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM)  

Because I like comments (who doesn't???) and I sent out a email to all my friends about this, I am going to post their comments that they send to me in reply emails. So leave a comment!!! Here goes from a fellow homebirth mamma:

Those pictures are awesome! Giving birth is such a physically exhausting and unexplainably wonderful experience. I really liked the one of Jillian, afterward, laying on the bed, while Margie weighed her baby...the look on her face pretty much says it all. Great job Jessica...and thanks for sharing.

-Jeni

Nicole  – (August 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM)  

Even though I've been through it, I still hold my breath seeing someone go through childbirth! I still can't handle it! Congrats to the parents!!!

Jessica B Photography  – (August 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM)  

Jennifer says: I love them! I was a little bit nervous when Susan asked if I wanted pictures....my first thought was NO........but now.... I would love for you to take pics at my birth, but Dave is totally against it! I showed him the pics and he still says no way!!! I'll work on him and keep you posted!!!

Chelsea Nicole  – (August 15, 2009 at 11:11 PM)  

What an incredible experience! It must have been amazing being there to share in the joy and capture it all.

And I love that you captured the sunrise that morning. :) Beautiful work.

Jessica B Photography  – (August 16, 2009 at 8:57 AM)  

Staci said: Thanks, Jessica. I had the best time looking at these pictures and then catching up on some of your others. I’m going to be t-i-r-e-d tomorrow, but it was definitely worth it. You are by far the greatest photographer ever! A. Adams could have learned a few things from YOU!!!! :)

(Now that's just silly! says I, in response to the Ansel Adams comment)

Jason & Claire  – (August 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM)  

Beautiful!!! I can NOT wait to have another baby so you can take all the pictures...when the time is right. I love them. Thanks for sharing;)

Susan  – (August 16, 2009 at 2:50 PM)  

Thanks so much!!!! You got all the info right! :) It was just 21 inches :)can't wait to see the rest! :)

Unknown  – (August 17, 2009 at 11:18 AM)  

They are beautiful pictures and they do capture what a wonderful experience having a baby can be! It would have been great if I could have been there but since I couldn't be this is the next best thing. I got to see my son and the pretty momma bring into this world by beautiful granddaughter! Congrats to my son Anthony and Jillian... love you all! Mom

Jessica B Photography  – (August 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM)  

Oh, Roberta, I am so glad! This is why I post birth and newborn sessions as soon as I can. So that family & friends can see the new baby ASAP!!!l

Jeanette  – (August 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM)  

What a great idea! I'm just sorry I can't call you for such an event because I am DONE.

April  – (August 18, 2009 at 8:22 AM)  

Those pictures were so beautiful! Made me cry. What a beautiful labor, birth and baby!

Http://whatmeeganmakes.com  – (August 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM)  

Absolutely beautiful! You did a great job capturing the feel of a home birth. Awesome! Congrats to mom and baby!

Todd  – (August 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen  – (August 18, 2009 at 11:29 AM)  

(Sorry, some how "Todd" is still logged in--it's supposed to be Jen. And I copied and pasted the comment but it didn't copy, so it's gone. Blast.)

Beautiful pictures.

Linda  – (August 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM)  

Wow, Jessica. I am in tears. I feel like I was there! What beautiful photos and what a miraculous story they tell!

Jessica B Photography  – (August 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM)  

Katie says: How cool is that! My mom did that when I had Mitchell but they were definetly more graphic and not as great due to the ugly surroundings and flourescent lights of the hospital. My mom did say she liked my doctor because she was pretty and photogenic. Your photos are have much more "awww" factor though and I love that! I would definetly want my home birth documented in this way.

Jessica B Photography  – (August 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM)  

Jen's comment from when she was signed in as Todd and then she deleted it: I've always been a bit weirded and grossed out by looking at and thinking about birth pictures, but those are really beautiful. What a wonderful moment for this family to have caught on camera. And you caught it so well. I actually really like the one of her laying in the bathtub, because you can see her huge, beautiful pregnant belly.

Mr. and Mrs. Corbett  – (August 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM)  

Beautiful job Jess! Congrats to the parents! What a great memory to have documented in such a beautiful way!

MaryRC  – (September 8, 2009 at 8:46 PM)  

wow i just saw this, amazing, it touched me.

Anjalique  – (March 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM)  

That first pic of the sunrise is breathtaking! I'm fond of the "bird's eye" pics you did in this and a few other births (such as in the bathroom). How do you do that? These are just beautiful. Great job!

Post a Comment

Rules for leaving comments: Have manners. :) Be nice to my clients. I enabled the "Anonymous" option so that a few certain people could leave comments. If you log in under "Anonymous", please leave your name. If you abuse this option, your comments will be deleted and the option will be turned off. Thanks for your encouragement and happy comments!

jessica B photography

Specializing in Las Vegas birth photography and newborn photography. Jessica B is also available for weddings and portrait sessions.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP