One Simple Thing...

It's like flossing our teeth... We all know we should do it, but only a handful of us diligently do it.

I'm talking about backing up your computer - specifically your photos & videos. Schedule it in to your busy life, write it on the calendar and do it! Once a year, every six or three months, burn all those images to a disc and put it somewhere safe! I have seven years worth of snapshots on my computer. Have I backed up? Mostly - except for the last year or two, so this is a wake-up call to myself as well. Make a copy (or two or three) of all your memories and then put it somewhere safe, such as IN a safe, a safe deposit box at the bank, or in a safe place at a family member or friend's house.

Just recently, a client's house caught fire. The family members are unharmed, but they lost a lot of their belongings, including their computer. You never know when something like a housefire or a virus or your computer just plain crashing could happen. Be prepared! Back up your memories!!!

Chris  – (April 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM)  

I use CrashPlan for our home computers. What is cool about this is
1) It is free for personal use
2) You can get a friend to run it on their home computer, and use each other's computers as back-ups..over the internet! OR just back-up across your home network. This won't help in case of a fire, but it will protect against a hardware crash. OR They also have a pro service that, for a fee, you can backup to their servers.
4) It is very customizable, backup all or only what you want!

Chris  – (April 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM)  

Ha-ha, I said 1) 2) 4)...

"Wow Chris, you sound credible"

Allyson  – (April 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM)  

Thanks for the reminder. I always back up my photos and documents, but they aren't in a safe place. I am going to put my external hard drive in our fire proof safe right now!

Post a Comment

Rules for leaving comments: Have manners. :) Be nice to my clients. I enabled the "Anonymous" option so that a few certain people could leave comments. If you log in under "Anonymous", please leave your name. If you abuse this option, your comments will be deleted and the option will be turned off. Thanks for your encouragement and happy comments!

jessica B photography

Specializing in Las Vegas birth photography and newborn photography. Jessica B is also available for weddings and portrait sessions.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP